RIGHTS OF MEDICATION ADMINISTRATION
- Check the name on the order and the patient by asking patient to identify himself/herself and when available, use technology (for example, bar-code system).
- Check the medication order and the label.
- Check the medication sheet and the doctor’s order before medicating. Be aware of the difference of an adult and a pediatric dose.
- Check if the route ordered is appropriate and confirm that the patient can take or receive the medication by the ordered route.
Right time and frequency
- Check the order for when it would be given and when was the last time it was given.
- Document administration AFTER giving the ordered medication. Chart the time, route, and any other specific information as necessary.
- Know why is the medication being ordered. Know patient’s history and why is he/she taking this medication?
- Check if the the ordered medication responds to the desired effects. E.g. ( Does the HPN drug lowers the patient BP).
When giving medication always be cautious and think !